The Straight Scoop on Shale
A project of the League of Women Voters of Pennsylvania Citizen Education Fund
2020 Shale & Public Health Conference
The eighth annual Shale & Public Health Conference will be held as an online conference over two days
Tuesday, November 17 & Wednesday, November 18
Noon to 4:30 p.m. EST
Registrants will receive log in details per e-mail before the event.
The conference is presented by the League of Women Voters of Pennsylvania and hosted by the University of Pittsburgh Graduate School of Public Health. The conference is free but YOU NEED TO REGISTER!
Featuring new research presented by national experts on shale and public health impacts, and practical applications.
The conference will feature five topic segments. Each includes a panel discussion led by a top researcher offering framing remarks.
- Novel Methods of Assessing Air Exposures & Public Health -Nicole Deziel PhD, MHS, Yale with Petros Koutrakis PhD, Harvard and Jill Johnston PhD, USC
- Unconventional Oil & Gas,Community Impacts & Environmental Justice -Lara Cushing PhD, MPH, UCLA; Jim Fabisiak, PhD, U of Pittsburgh with Cassandra Clark, Yale, and Rebecca Franz, Chief Deputy Attorney General of PA
- New Research on Birth Outcomes -Lisa McKenzie, PhD, MPH, U of Colorado Anschutz with David Gonzalez, Stanford and Kathy V Tran, UC Berkeley
- New Research on Other Health Outcomes -Seth Shonkoff, PhD, MPH PSE Healthy Energy/UC Berkeley with Irena Gorski Steiner, MPH, Johns Hopkins; Mary Willis, MPH, Oregon State; and David Brown, ScD, Environmental Health Project
- Climate Change, COVID 19, Fossil Fuels and Plastics – Brian Schwartz, MD, Johns Hopkins with Kristina Marusic, Environmental Health News
There will also be a networking session on Tuesday from 3:45-4:30.
Please share this information far & wide with colleagues and friends!